Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus

Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus
Nursing Madonna (wikimedia commons)

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Extended Breastfeeding

As I was nursing my youngest son today, I realized how powerful breastfeeding is for calming down distraught toddlers. Even though in my heart, I know breastfeeding is still beneficial to my toddler. It is sometimes difficult to be different in a society where many toddlers are already weaned. If we look to Scripture, however, we see that many children were breastfed to 3 years of age. Also, many reputable health organizations and even the Church supports those mothers and babies who desire to continue breastfeeding beyond a year.

The Catholic Nursing Mothers League will host a series of 4 rotating topic meetings in parishes and towns around the country (and possibly the world). The first will focus on exclusive breastfeeding for around the first 6 months (situations may vary depending on babies) and extended breastfeeding. I hope mothers will find support and encouragement for nursing their toddlers at CNML meetings!

No comments:

Post a Comment