Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus

Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus
Nursing Madonna (wikimedia commons)

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

World Breastfeeding Week




We are about to begin World Breastfeeding week tomorrow, August 1 through August 7.

This year's theme is celebrating the tenth anniversary of the WHO/UNICEF Global Strategy put in place to help eradicate malnutrition around the world, something close to my heart and probably yours too, through promoting and supporting exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and continued breastfeeding for two years or beyond.  

I find it fascinating that breastfeeding impacts so many areas of our lives.  Recently, I saw video clips on PBS of starving children in third world countries.  Those poor children were on my mind on and off throughout the next days.  I kept brainstorming about what I can do to help them.  My boys are already involved with scouts, and their big community service project is the local food drive a few times per year.  Then, there is a ministry at my church that prepares sandwiches for the homeless.  I am considering bringing it up with my family to see if they might like to help.  It conveniently takes place during our coffee and donuts fellowship hour just once per month so hopefully the lure of a special treat will be the deal breaker :) 

Then, the easiest actions you and I can take are to keep breastfeeding our babies and encouraging those around us to do the same!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment