Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus

Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus
Nursing Madonna (wikimedia commons)

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A New Path

Wow!  I didn't realize that an entire month has gone by since I last posted.  I hope to have more time now to blog for CNML.  Readers, if there are any topics related to breastfeeding, motherhood or Catholicism that you would like me to write about, please drop me a line!  Also, I am happy to post blog entires that YOU write.

Today I want to blog about something personal to me but still related to breastfeeding.  This week, I made the decision to retire from La Leche League (LLL) leadership.  It was a difficult choice for me to make.  I have been attending LLL meetings for more than 15 years and have been a Leader for over 12 years.  Up until recently, meetings have reengerized and inspired me.  I would often come home from them ready to face whatever challenges came my way.  LLL's mothering concepts helped shape the person I am and the mother I am.

Several things contributed to my retirement.  My local meeting has not been well attended lately.  Also, I have been helping with another ministry at my church and the needs have increased.  Also, I want to get my local CNML group off the ground.  However, probably the main reason is LLL's changing philosophy.  That, is at least, what started me thinking about leaving LLL.  

When I first read about the newest policy change, I was more stunned than anything.  However, I felt it would not apply to me and my local group.  Then one night in adoration, this strange thought popped into my head: retire and concentrate on breastfeeding support in other ways.  I pondered the idea for a while and even packed up all my LLL items.  But then I couldn't do it.  I wasn't sure if I was really hearing the voice of God in this.  I again decided that LLL was the place for me.  I kept leading meetings and helped man an LLL table at my town's health fair.  Then again during adoration, I started having thoughts of retirement from LLL and concentrating on CNML.  This time I really felt like God was trying to get through to me.

I know many wonderful women who have decided to continue volunteering with LLL.  I have not felt that God would be unhappy with me, necessarily, for staying with LLL but that I am called to another path now.  It is still hard and scary!  LLL was such an important part of my life for so long.  I am hoping we, in the CNML community, can build that same type of comraderie and have it be even stronger, since it is based on our Faith.

Have you formed a CNML group in your parish yet?  It is super easy!  There is a suggested Resource Guide at the CNML website that you are free to print it out and use as you like.  Check back occasionally because I am always trying to improve it!  I had my first local CNML meeting last week and FIVE ladies attended!  It was so nice to talk about breastfeeding within the context of my Catholic Faith.

2 comments:

  1. I am a LLL Leader, too. What policy change were you referring to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This new leadership criteria. http://www.llli.org/llli_updates_breastfeeding_counsellor_eligibility_criteria_21_april_2014

    ReplyDelete