Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus

Virgin Mary breastfeeding Jesus
Nursing Madonna (wikimedia commons)

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Infinity Scarf Nursing Covers



I have always wanted to sell or make products for nursing mothers.  I thought it would nicely compliment my breastfeeding support work. Then one day I happened to google "nursing cover" and a blog post about sewing an infinity scarf nursing cover appeared.  I read the instructions and knew that even I, a beginner seamstress at best, could sew a row of stitches to create such a lovely accessory for a blouse or dress which doubles as a nursing cover up too.

Here is a link to the instructions in case you are would like to make your own: http://www.babble.com/style/diy-infinity-scarf-that-doubles-as-a-nursing-cover/.  Here is another version of the instructions from another site: http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1043695/diy-infinity-nursing-cover-scarf

I looked up similar scarves online and discovered that they sell for sometimes $20 or more.  It turns out, by just purchasing some inexpensive, but very good quality, fabric from fabric.com, I can make one for $3-5. Both websites mentioned above suggest using jersey knit material.  The 100% cotton fabrics seem to be a bit bulkier, but some ladies are looking for warmer infinity scarves.  I found the polyester and rayon jersey knits to have the softest feel.  I do not recommend the chiffon knit.  From what I have read on the internet, this type of material will unravel unless you sew seams on all the sides.

Although I do not personally use a nursing cover when nursing my youngest, I do help several Catholic nursing mothers at my local CNML group meeting who really prefer to use covers to be more modest. However, I have noticed that many covers are large and tend to draw attention.  That is one reason these infinity scarf nursing covers are a great option.  No one will know your scarf is not just a dressy accessory and it is always with you without needing to be stored in your purse or diaper bag. Plus, even when you wean your baby, you can still use it!

If you are interested in receiving one, send an email to CNML at catholicbreastfeeding(at)yahoo(dot)com and let me know what sort of color or pattern you would like.  I am happy to sew and mail you one :)


No comments:

Post a Comment