My Chance Meeting with Dr. Miriam Labbok


My infant daughter and I were invited to a simple dinner and short breastfeeding presentation in my hometown, right down the street from me.  After socializing with the other attendees, which included two local pediatricians, the conversation turned to breastfeeding.  Dr. Labbok mentioned that she became interested in breastfeeding, partly due to its role in child spacing.  Then I realized who she was - the developer of the Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM)!  We then discussed Sheila Kippley's work on ecological breastfeeding and formed an immediate kinship.  Anytime the discussion or the later presentation turned to child spacing, Dr. Labbok would mention ecological breastfeeding and nod in my direction.  At the conclusion of the evening, Dr. Labbok suggested we keep in touch.  I feel so honored to have met Dr. Labbok and to receive mentorship and friendship from Sheila Kippley for the Catholic Nursing Mothers League (CNML)!

Ecological breastfeeding has been such a big part of my adult life.  Ministering to nursing moms through CNML is such a blessing to me and will allow me to stay connected with the ecological breastfeeding lifestyle even when I am no longer nursing a baby.  Natural mothering doesn't stop once my baby weans.  Its gentleness and similarity to the teachings of Jesus will continue to influence me as a mother, woman and Catholic for years to come.



Comments