Motherhood is important and valuable

Children need their mothers' presence, especially in the first three years of life.  With or without breastfeeding, motherhood is an important and valuable way in which women live in accordance with their nature as persons created in God's image.

I think this principle beautifully sums up what CNML believes about motherhood.  Now that my youngest is no longer nursing and my children are getting older, I sometimes wonder if my vocation as a mother is as important or valuable.  When I had nurslings and little ones, it seemed more clear to me that my vocation was essential.  My milk was literally sustaining my child's life!  My presence in the home was crucial for my children's safety and well being.  But now my fourth oldest son is legally able to stay home by himself!  How did that happen? BTW, we have not told him that.  He is a homebody and often likes to stay home.  It will be our little secret :)


These past few weeks, my eyes have been opened to the importance of what I currently do in my home.  This happened only after feeling completely overwhelmed by once again taking on too many outside activities.  I truly believe that most mothers need interests besides motherhood, but everything in moderation, right?  I think I crossed that line.  


I think I previously shared that I have a daughter after having 4 sons.  We so much wanted a little girl, and we finally were blessed with one!  One of my first thoughts when I realized I was in too deep is, "What am I doing?  I have this beautiful little girl and after waiting for her for 12 years, I am filling up my time with too many other things."


When you have older kids, mothering does not end!  You are still just as much needed but just in different ways.  It might mean driving your son to his boy scout meeting and volunteering with him to help him finish his service hours towards the next rank.  It might mean talking to your college age son on the phone 5 times a week for an hour at a time!  My son and I are close (what a blessing!) and this is what actually happens on a weekly basis in my home!  It might mean playing a board game with your daughter and doing her hair.  It might mean baking your son's favorite baked good because his siblings finished the last batch and he's upset or talking with your son about his hamsters and guinea pigs and playing with them.  It might mean giving your teenager some space while still being available for him when he needs you.


Everything you do for your family is a gift!  It could be preparing and serving nutritious food, sewing doll clothes for your daughter's doll, organizing your home, or homeschooling your children.  Each of us has unique talents that benefit our families greatly!  I am rereading a favorite book of mine, Perfectly Yourself, by Catholic author Matthew Kelly.  If you are not sure of your special talents, you might consider reading it.  You can get it for free from Dynamic Catholic.

Remember, fellow moms, that if your child is a newborn, a breastfeeding toddler, a 5 year old ready to start kindergarten or even a 20 year old grown man, you are important and valuable!

Comments