Breastfeeding and Motherhood: Helping You Become the Best Version of Yourself



Before I became a mom, I really didn’t know what it would be like. Sure, I had attended childbirth classes, read a breastfeeding book, attended breastfeeding support group meetings, and had even started reading a parenting book or two. However, once my son was born, I was definitely not ready for the challenges of breastfeeding him in the early days, learning how to take care of him, the lack of sleep, and how the hormone changes would made me feel. 

There were times when my son cried and I could not figure out how to help him feel better and so I cried right along with him. There were also wonderful moments when my heart overflowed with so much love for him that I cried then, too. I especially loved watching him nurse to sleep and seeing him smile. I loved that my breastmilk was nourishing him and comforting him all wrapped up in one. Overcoming our early breastfeeding challenges inspired me to begin helping other nursing moms. I still love helping moms all these years later even though my youngest weaned years ago.

My experience of breastfeeding and motherhood has helped me become the person I am today. It has opened my eyes to the areas where I definitely need more work and has helped the fruits of the Holy Spirit grow within me. When I had my first son, I was not a very patient mom. Then over time, as he grew (and I had more children), I also grew into a more patient person. Women sometimes say they don’t think they could be mothers (or stay at home moms or homeschoolers, etc) because they are not patient enough. My experience has been that you become more patient over time with God’s help. 

It is the same with the other fruits of the Holy Sprit. If there is a particular virtue or mothering practice you desire to cultivate in your life, just ask God to help you. Also, rely more on what your heart tells you and what God is telling you through prayer, Scripture and the sacraments rather than what others think. If your heart and the Holy Spirit are leading you towards toddler nursing, listen to your heart and God - not someone at the store who can’t understand why your baby is still nursing. If your heart and your prayer time with God are inspiring you to co-sleep with your baby or to practice gentle mothering, follow your heart and God - not the popular parenting book all your friends are reading.

I was chatting with some friends the other day and I told them that breastfeeding and motherhood have radically transformed me. My interests, my skills, who I am - are largely due to my experience being a mom to my kids. Motherhood is helping me become the best version of myself!

Comments