Devotion to the Nursing Baby Jesus


                                                                   Wikimedia commons


I love that we have a patron saint of breastfeeding - Our Lady of La Leche - who is not only a saint but also the mother of Jesus.  (Actually there is a second patron saint of breastfeeding, St. Giles, too.). However, I feel it is important to honor the Christ Child, who was born into the world as a nursing baby and is Our Savior.  There isn’t currently a devotion exclusively to the nursing baby Jesus, but I thought we could borrow one of the devotions already in existence to the infant Jesus.  

I found a few possibilities.  The Blessed is she website mentions 3 variations: Santo Nino de Atocha, Santa Nino de Cebu, and the Infant Jesus of Prague. I also found another one online - Divino Nino Jesus - which is a Columbia devotion.  Based on what I read, I think different countries/ethnicities have their own form of the same devotion to the Baby Jesus. Therefore, I propose that nursing moms have their own version, too: Devotion to the Nursing Baby Jesus.  

In the book, Devotion to the Infant Jesus of Prague, it says, 

Devotion to the Infant Jesus of Prague is devotion to the Child Jesus. It is veneration of the Son of God, who in the form of an infant chose a stable for a palace, manger for a cradle, and shepherds for worshippers.  Our Savior grants special graces to all who venerate His sacred Infancy.”

Since worshipping the Infant Jesus is an approved devotion of the Church, I don’t think we, as nursing mothers, will go astray if we adore the Nursing Christ Child especially as we approach this upcoming Christmas season. We should go with child-like confidence to God with whatever is on our hearts just like our own little ones come to us for whatever they need.

If you are interested in this devotion, send me an email at catholicbreastfeeding(at)yahoo(dot)com and I will send you a medal and prayer card of the Infant Jesus.


Comments