"the Visit"

The part I love most about being a member of the Holy Family Institute and also the Pauline family is their focus on Eucharistic adoration.  The Pauline family refers to adoration as "the Visit" because you are visiting with your friend, Jesus.  I love that there is a visible presence of Jesus...the Host in the monstrance.  I love that there are no rules about how to "visit" with Jesus.  You can pray the rosary (or Theotokos version of the rosary for nursing moms).  You can read Scripture or read from a spiritual book.  You can even listen to praise music with your phone and earbuds.  Or you can sit and "visit" with Jesus as you would a friend sharing all your joys and worries.  You can also sit silently and just gaze at Jesus adoringly. 

I think "the Visit" is something a nursing mom can do.  Remember how you need to take care of your physical health by eating enough and drinking to thirst and resting when the baby is sleeping?  You also need to take care of your spiritual health, too!  "The Visit" is just one option, but I think it is a great one! If your church has an adoration program and schedule, you could try to choose an hour with no adorer and then bring your baby along.  Another option is to choose an hour with one or more adorers and then ask if it would be okay for you to bring your baby.  If you think an hour might be too much for your little one, when you are out and about doing errands and your baby falls asleep in her car seat that snaps out of its base, you and your baby can stop at your local adoration chapel for 10 minutes.  If you really cannot get out to an adoration chapel, there are online websites that do a live video feed of their adoration chapel. 

My friend's father passed away in 2020.  When I was reading his obituary, I saw that he wrote a book several years ago called The Blessed Sacrament in Our Lives.  I asked my friend for a copy, and she sent it to me.  It is really a sweet book and perfect for nursing moms!  The meditations are only about a page long and very relatable.  I think there are only used copies available online but you might be able to contact Mr. Dorencz's church for a copy if you are interested.

Comments