Christmas All Year Long




My husband and I attended Mass at a different Catholic Church this past weekend.  The priest was Filipino, and many of the parishioners were also Filipino.  In the Philippians, Christmas is a big deal and is celebrated for much longer than is typical in other places - even beginning in August or September.  The priest suggested in his homily that we celebrate Christmas all year long.

Over the past few days, I have pondering this idea, and, honestly, I love it!  Thinking about Jesus as a little baby nursing at Mary’s breast, cooing and giggling and sleeping so sweetly makes my heart happy!  Thinking of Mary playing with Jesus, going on walks with him, telling him stories, and baking with him inspires me to try to be a better mother!  

How can we celebrate Christmas all year long?  Listen to a Christmas song during your prayer time or sing one to your baby while you are nursing her.  Reread the story of Jesus’s birth.  Keep a small nativity scene or a picture of Mary nursing Jesus where you can see it everyday.  Offer to bring a new mom dinner.  Surprise a mom you know with an encouraging note or a little gift. 

Merry Christmas!

Comments