Consecration to Our Lady of La Leche by CNML Mentor, Lisa Ellis

nothing.

Today , October 8, 2022 I was Consecrated to Our Lady of La Leche and became a member of the Confraternity of Our Lady of La Leche ðŸ’™

With the guidance of Jesus’ Mother Mary, I was led me to be the mother I am today and to my conversion to The Catholic Faith.

With the birth of my oldest daughter, I knew I wanted to breastfeed. I wasn’t breastfed and only knew a few women that had. 

I nursed her for over 2 1/2 months through bleeding and cracked nipples, thrush, and many other obstacles.

I know today that Our Lady of La Leche was holding me through it all.

I’ve only shared my conversion story with a few people, but I felt today of all days was the day that I should blog about it. I grew up primitive Baptist. My parents brought me to Saint Augustine, Florida and we vacationed here my entire life. I learned to drive on the beach here.

Even though I was born in Georgia, I was actually born in a Catholic hospital called St. Joseph’s Hospital in Atlanta.

I remember coming to Saint Augustine and seeing the great cross which is where the mission grounds are. I would always ask my parents what that place was. I was always drawn to that entire area, but they always shrugged it off and said it was nothing.

Back to my daughter, I persevered and breastfed her. I did all the things that were perceived as “not normal” in society and co-slept.

I wore her in front packs that were really uncomfortable until I got a sling.

I remember trying to call and get breastfeeding support over the phone back then and not hearing back from people. I just gave up trying to find support.

I attended my first La Leche League International support group meeting when she was about eight months old and I remember it was at the home of now a friend of mine and one of my children’s godmothers. I found my home. I no longer felt alone in this mothering journey and realized that what I was doing was instinctual and what they called attachment style parenting. I had done this all myself.

But again I know it was the Blessed Mother guiding me all along.

Those leaders became my best friends. They silently led me through their silent example of mothering and inviting me to sacraments of their children. 

As a married adult I continued to vacation in St. Augustine, and I finally visited the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche. I was tandem nursing two daughters at the time.

1998 

I can remember sitting in the chapel looking at the Blessed Mother nursing the infant Jesus! 

She spoke to me that day. She said that I must lead my family here. I was not sure at the time what she meant. 

I didn’t begin the process of converting to the Catholic Church until after the birth of my third daughter in the year 2000. 

I was officially confirmed as a Catholic on November 1, 2003.

We moved to St Augustine in September 2004. I met amazing Catholics.  One in particular was Patti Bennett. We became close friends and she led me further into my Catholic faith.

We met at Native Sun, a local health food store. Our kids were grazing the bulk bins … we both homeschooled and shared so much with one another. 

I remember the day she discovered a lump in her breast … 

She never complained through her breast cancer treatments. She is a saint.

Sadly she went to Jesus on July 11, 2011. The last place I saw her alive was at the Shrine and Mission of Our Lady of La Leche.  I miss her deeply. Her common phrase in life was “no worries.” She is correct! She no longer has worries.

I was blessed with 6 living children. Five little souls are in heaven.

I breastfed over 25 years non-stop among all my children. I tandem and tri-nursed even. My youngest self-weaned when he was 7.

I am now the “Glamma” as I’m called.

Our Lady of La Leche, Pray for Us!

I’ve been a solo mom for the last 12 years. 

This last year has had many ups and downs. My grandson, Atlas, passed away at seven months old on December 3, 2021. It was deemed SIDS.

My friend, Karen, has been a single mom for many years and kind of took me under her wing years ago as did my friend, Virginia! 

Last spring I was going through a lot of difficulties and Karen invited me to start attending these monthly confraternity talks about Our Lady. It is the Confraternity for Our Lady of La Leche.

Today I was consecrated to our Lady of La Leche! Her feast day is on October 11.

I went back to using my maiden name this past year which I was allowed to do.  This was while doing a Bible study and trying to figure out who I am - not what I do. I’m a mother, Doula, lactation consultant, CST , professional photographer .

I am Lisa Ellis, daughter of the King! The Blessed Mother has taken me under her wing as my mother because my own mother disowned me (for being Catholic ) ðŸ’™

This is the Consecration to Our Lady of La Leche:

Oh, Beloved Mother Mary, under the title of Our Lady of La Leche, I, Lisa, consecrate myself to you today. I give you all that I am and all that I have to use as you wish for the betterment of the Kingdom of God. Take my life and breath, my strengths and weaknesses, my desires and concerns, my family and possessions. Mold me and form me according to your pleasure for the greater glory of God. Dear Lady of La Leche, I ask you to love me and care for me as you did the baby Jesus nursing at your breast. Give me a greater love for the body and blood of your Son, our Lord and Savior, who was formed by the Holy Spirit in your virginal womb. Ask him to forgive my sins, deepen my faith, and guide my actions so that my hopes and desires will be one with his for his glory.

Our Lady of La Leche, through this consecration, help me to imitate your reverence and holiness, your trust in God, your abandonment to Divine will, your contemplative prayer life, your obedience to Gold’s plan, your purity of heart, your love for all that is good, and your concern for others. Mother of my Lord and my mother, intervene in my life and take me completely into your Immaculate Heart. Present me to the Sacred Heart of your beloved Son. Mold me into a faithful disciple, fill me with wisdom and divine grace, and help me to build up the Kingdom of truth and life, holiness and grace, justice, love and peace. -Amen

Lisa and Karen
Lisa and Sebastian 
CaLeave a R
Search for

Comments