Finding Accurate Breastfeeding Information in the Age of the Internet and AI


There are hundreds (or maybe thousands?) of breastfeeding websites and books. Having access to information is a great thing. However, not all websites and books are equal in their quality. How can a Catholic mom decipher which resources are best? 

Here are some ideas to help you choose:

1. Choose resources with evidence based breastfeeding information. Usually these are authored by an IBCLCs or other lactation professionals.

2. Consider resources that are not contrary to your faith.

3. Look for resources written by mothers with personal breastfeeding experience.


It is definitely challenging to find resources that fit all three categories above! However, there are a few: 

  • This website - the CNML website - and Getting Started with Breastfeeding: For Catholic Mothers were designed with all three in mind. I regularly write articles and add links for the most common breastfeeding concerns and also encouraging articles on mothering and the Catholic faith. I do my best to keep all info current and evidence based. If I left out any breastfeeding topics that you would like to read about, please let me know at catholicbreastfeeding@yahoo.com.
  • Ask Dr. Sears and The Breastfeeding Book fit all three above. Martha Sears is an RN and a lactation consultant and her husband, William, has an MD and specializes in pediatrics. Martha and William Sears are the parents of 8 children, and they are Catholic!
  • NFP International and co-founder Sheila Kippley’s three breastfeeding books fit all three categories. Sheila is the mother of five breastfed children and is a retired LLL Leader. She and her husband are Catholic.
(If you know of any other resources, please let me know so I can add them to the list!)

There are also some very good breastfeeding websites or resources that were not written by mothers but the authors are experts in their areas and the information is very up to date. Some examples are:
  • I would say that the Infant Risk Center is the best resource for questions about medications and breastfeeding.
  • For info about safe co-sleeping, Dr. James McKenna’s research and website are paramount.
In terms of excellent comprehensive breastfeeding information but with a few pages contrary to the Catholic/Christian faith, I would recommend:
I also wanted to mention three wonderful pro-life organizations that support breastfeeding:
What about AI or chatGPT for breastfeeding information? I think it is hit or miss. When I put in “ecological breastfeeding” it gave me a decent response but no stats on effectiveness. However, when I put in “mastitis treatment” it gave me the older recommendations. I think that is because it scours the internet for a consensus on the topic and not every breastfeeding website has updated their info to the most evidence based. I couldn’t help myself!  I had to search for “What is the Catholic Nursing Mothers League?” ChatGPT actually came up with a pretty nice summary of CNML!

Written by Gina Peterson


What are your favorite breastfeeding resources? Please share in the comments. Thank you!

Comments