October 11: Feast of Our Lady of La Leche

(Wikimedia commons - public domain)


Last Wednesday was the Feast day of Our Lady of La Leche. Our Lady of La Leche is one of the patron saints of nursing moms. What better patron than Jesus’s own mother who had the utmost privilege of nursing Him for several years? At that time, women tended to nurse their babies for about three years, so it is very likely Mary did the same.

There is a Shrine dedicated to Our Lady of La Leche in St. Augustine, FL. The year CNML was founded - 2006 - my family and I took a vacation to Florida to celebrate my husband’s and my ten year wedding anniversary. We had not planned beforehand to go to the Shrine, but just ended up there. I was even still nursing my third son on that trip since he was only nine months old at the time. I am so glad the Holy Spirit led us there! I take it as one sign among many others over the years that God wants CNML to keep ministering to nursing moms!

I haven’t been to the Shrine’s website in some time. The last several times I visited their website or called them, they were out of the Our Lady of La Leche medals and the English prayer cards with Our Lady of La Leche on the front. I am happy to report that these items are back in stock! Yay! I ordered some and once they arrive in the mail, I will make up more Our Lady of La Leche nursing mom gift bags. If you would like one for yourself or a fellow nursing mom or several for your CNML group, send me an email at catholicbreastfeeding@yahoo.com.

If you are interested, I found the novena of Our Lady of La Leche online. Even though the customary dates of the novena have just passed, you can still pray the novena! Here is the link.

Written by Gina Peterson


Do you have a special devotion? Please share it in the comments!

Comments

  1. We visited the shrine years ago also. Fr. Rob Jack, a professor at Mr. St. Mary's Seminary in Cincinnati, during a day-long series of talks on the Immaculate Conception said that in the non-canonical Proto-Gospel of James, Mary presented Jesus at the temple when he was four years old. Fr. Jack opined that Jesus was probably weaned at that age. The talk was given at Presentation Ministries Bible Institute at Xavier University, July 28, 2004.
    Sheila Kippley

    Sheila Kippley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheila, thanks for sharing that piece of information! Very interesting!

      Delete

Post a Comment