Sharing the Beauty of Ecological Breastfeeding

(public domain)



The other night I was invited to “Community Night” which is part of the local hospital’s childbirth class series. I was asked to present, because I lead a secular breastfeeding support group in town. There were five couples who attended. They all looked so sweet - the husbands cradling their very pregnant wives. They all seemed excited hearing about my breastfeeding support group which made me happy! Then I decided to be brave, and I mentioned that I had brought several copies of Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing by Sheila Kippley if anyone would like to learn more about the topic. Then: blank stares, awkward silence.

Contrast the above experience to the very next morning. We had our monthly online Catholic Nursing Mothers meeting. The topic was: Sharing Sleep with Your Baby. The discussion naturally progressed to Sheila’s book. A few of the moms mentioned how blessed they were to have read the book while pregnant with their first baby (me included!). They talked about how much the book shaped their early years of breastfeeding and parenting. I even received one request for a complimentary copy of the book from a mom who attended the online meeting and lives in UAE! It just warms my heart that ecological breastfeeding is so cherished by many Catholic moms! I also love that the CNML ministry is spreading across the world one mom at a time!

I think ecological breastfeeding is such a loving approach to breastfeeding and parenting! Therefore, I will keep trying to share the message with moms as often as I can! If you would like a copy of Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing, email your name and mailing address to: catholicbreastfeeding@yahoo.com. I would love to share ecological breastfeeding with you!

Written by Gina Peterson


What is your favorite part of Ecological Breastfeeding? Please share in the comments! 



Comments